LamaBot GlamBot Recommended Camera
We have conducted extensive testing and evaluations. From our thorough investigation, the Sony FX3 camera stands out as the most capable camera for capturing high-quality slow-motion clips at 240fps. The fast frame rate of 240 fps is critical to ensure smooth slow motion. The Sony camera's auto-focus is very accurate with the robot's fast movements and at this high framerate. We have tested other Canon and Nikon cameras and unfortunately, the autofocus quality was not acceptable.
Slow Motion 240 fps Capture
Sony Camera Setup
Using your Sony camera to its full potential requires the right setup. To ensure the smoothest slow motion videos and the best results, we have compiled a step-by-step guide on how to calibrate your Sony camera's settings for optimal performance. Here's how to go about it:
Connect the USB Type-C terminal on the camera to the computer with a USB cable. The cable will need to be long enough to go from the Lamabot head to your computer. We recommend using a 15 to 20 foot usb-c cable.
- USB Connect Mode: Go to Menu > Network > Transfer/Remote > PC Remote Function and set to PC Remote Function to allow dslrBooth to connect to the camera. On newer models, this can be chosen on the screen once the camera connects to the computer using a USB cable.
Selects the connection method when the camera is connected to a computer using PC Remote to USB.
- SD Card: Insert your SD-XC in Slot 1. It will NOT work in Slot 2.
Camera Mode: Start by setting your camera mode to S&Q. This setting enables you to capture highs-peed slow motion footage.
File Format: Proceed to Shooting → Image Quality. Here, set your 'File Format' to 'XAVC S HD'. This will allow your camera to record in a high-definition format, ensuring the highest quality videos.
- NTSC/PAL Selector: MENU → (Setup) → [Area/Date] → [NTSC/PAL Selector] → [Enter]
S&Q Settings: In the same 'Image Quality' menu, find 'S&Q Settings'. You'll need to set several parameters here for optimal slow-motion capture:
- Rec Frame Rate: Set this to '30p'. This sets your playback speed and ensures smooth, natural-looking footage.
- Frame Rate: Set this to '240fps'. This means your camera will capture 240 frames each second, providing the necessary detail for slow-motion videos.
- Recording Setting: Lastly, set this to '16M 4:2:0 8bit'. This controls the bitrate and color space of your footage, balancing quality, storage needs, and processing time.
With these settings, your Sony camera is primed and ready to capture top-notch slow-motion footage with your LamaBot GlamBot. Enjoy your glambot experience!
Full Frame - FX3, a7S3 and similar
For the best footage with the Sony FX3 and LamaBot GlamBot, our team suggests the Sony FE 24mm f/2.8 lens as they are excellent choices for crop sensor cameras. They provides a similar field of view to a 24mm lens on a full-frame camera. Its wide-angle focal length is excellent for broad scenes, while the f/2.8 aperture ensures excellent low-light performance and bokeh effects. With Sony's G lens technology, expect exceptional image quality.
While we specifically recommend this lens, you can also consider similar zoom lenses with the same focal length (24mm). These alternatives can also provide satisfactory performance, given they maintain the same field of view. Regardless of your choice, a 24mm lens will truly enhance your Sony FX3's capabilities, offering professional-grade results with your LamaBot GlamBot.
Mounting the camera
The camera is top-mounted on the LamaBot robot. If using a camera other than the Sony FX3 you will need to use a camera cage that will have a thread mount on the top.
To quickly mount and unmount your camera, we recommend this quick mount adapter.
- Robot Requirements
- Laptop Recommendations
- Power Management Mode, set Power Mode to Performance
- Backdrop: 20 feet wide, 10 feet high
- Strap your usb cable and use a port protector as excess weight with the quick movement of the robot will put too much stress on the port which can cause damage.
- Buy an additional one or more camera batteries. The Sony camera battery in our tests lasts 2-3 hours.