Allow guests to download their images and videos created with dslrBooth or LumaBooth without the need for an internet connection. This option allows guests to receive their photos and videos instantly over WiFi (no internet).
What is required to allow offline QR Code Sharing?
- A booth app such as dslrBooth or LumaBooth. This app captures photos and videos and generates print strips or edited videos to share.
- The LumaShare sharing app running on iPad or iPhone. This app connects to your booth and allows your guests to easily share their photos and videos.
- Your own wifi network that your booth app, LumaShare app, and your guests phones can connect to. The wifi router does not need to be connected to the internet. You can also use Windows' built-in hotspot feature to connect LumaShare directly to dslrBooth.
Setting up your local Wifi network
In order to create your local Wifi network, you will need to use your own Wifi router or hotspot. You cannot use a venue's Wifi as the large majority of them disallow different devices from communicating with each other. To setup your own Wifi network, you can use your wifi router or your phone's hotspot feature or Windows' hotspot feature.
Option A - dslrBooth Only
Turn your Windows PC into a mobile hotspot by sharing your internet connection with other devices over Wi-Fi. You can share a Wi-Fi, Ethernet, or cellular data connection. Use your Windows PC as a mobile hotspot.
Option B - dslrBooth or LumaBooth
If you don't have your own Wifi router, we recommend using small portable Wifi router such as the TP-Link AC750. This Wifi router will connect your booth app (dslrBooth or LumaBooth), your LumaShare app, and your guest's mobile devices to allow them to download their photos and videos using a QR Code. Again, there is no internet access required for this.
Once you have your Wifi router or Hotspot, make a note of the following as you will need to enter them in LumaShare:
- Wireless Network Name (SSID).
- Password (can be none if you wish).
See how-to set-up your TP-LINK AC750 with LumaShare. The tutorial shows LumaBooth as the booth app but the same can be done with dslrBooth. Either one is required and not both.
To allow your guests to download photos and videos without an internet connection, LumaShare generates two QR codes for your guests two scan in order:
- First QR Code: Allows your guests' phones to quickly connect to your Wifi network.
- Second QR Code: Allows your guests' phones to download the photo or video over the local Wifi network. This is much faster than downloading from the internet.
To setup this feature in LumaShare, go to Settings > Sharing Settings turn on the Offline QR Code option. Enter in your Wifi network, security type and the password. Exit settings.
Now your guests can browse through all the photos and videos captured on LumaShare. Once they select one or multiple items, guests will now see a QR code option. They will scan the first QR code to join your local Wifi network. Then they scan the second QR code to receive their photo or video.